Any student working toward an L&S degree under requirements that became effective either September 1971 or May 2007 may elect to develop an Individual Major. This major should be approved during the second semester of a student's sophomore year or in the first semester of a student's junior year. Any student interested in the Individual Major should have completed at least two semesters (a minimum of 24 credits) in residence before submitting an application. It is extremely important that students meet with their assigned academic advisor to determine if an Individual Major is an appropriate option to pursue.
Seniors may find it impractical to use this major since all students are required to earn at least 30 credits after the term in which approval is granted. [No more than six (6) earned credits can be applied toward the Individual Major prior to obtaining approval to pursue this academic option by the Individual Major Faculty Committee.] An L&S student may complete only one Individual Major. It is possible to earn honors in the Liberal Arts, Honors in the Major, and Comprehensive Honors, if you have an Individual Major. Please note that students pursuing undergraduate degrees in other UW-Madison schools and colleges cannot pursue an L&S Individual Major.
Steps for Applying to Declare an Individual Major
- The student should submit the required documents prior to the semester they want to declare the Individual Major.
- The student should access the Individual Major Application and completely fill it out before turning it in to Suite 110 Ingraham Hall.
- Write a letter to accompany the application (details are in the application).
- The student is responsible for finding a faculty advisor who will supervise the Individual Major. The faculty advisor must also submit a letter in support of the proposal (details are in the application).
- Submit the following to Suite 110 Ingraham Hall in one complete package no later than the Friday of the 4th week of the fall or spring semester (this deadline is the same as the pass/fail deadline for the fall and spring semesters):
The completed application must include the original and three (3) copies of each of the following:
Completed application signed by the student and faculty committee
Student's letter and supporting course data
Faculty Advisor's letter on Department letterhead or University letterhead
Student's Current Transcript
Any other requested/supported materials.